DDBA 8161 Week 7 Discussion The Value of Diversification
To prepare for this Discussion, review the “Cisco Systems: Growth Through Diversification and Acquisition” case found on pages 108–109 of Dyer, Godfrey, Jensen, and Bryce (2016) and consider how companies can utilize diversification strategies to create organizational value and competitive advantage. You may also want to review the video titled “The Upside of Concentrating Risk,” as well as the cases provided in this week’s Optional Resources for further research on diversification initiatives and business strategy effectiveness.
Post a comparison of corporate strategy versus business-unit-level strategy. In your comparison, address the following:
· How does corporate strategy differentiate from a business-unit-level strategy, including advantages and disadvantages of each?
· Which approach for diversification (related-constrained or related-linked) has the strongest return on investment in this case study? Explain, including at least one supportive example.
· In your opinion as an independent scholar, why does diversification most often fail to add value? Explain with at least one supportive example.
· What factors should executives consider when making a decision to diversify through green field entry over making an acquisition? Explain.
DDBA 8161 Week 7 Assignment: Annotated Bibliography on Value Creation Through Diversification
To prepare for this Assignment, select four peer-reviewed scholarly articles, with each article addressing a topic of interest for research. For more information, refer to the Walden Writing Center’s annotated bibliography sample document provided in this week’s Required Readings.
Submit an annotated bibliography for the four peer-reviewed resources you selected. In your annotated bibliography, include the following:
· A full APA-style bibliographic reference including the author, title, publisher, and place of publication
· A summary of the document (2–3 paragraphs for each entry), including the main points, its purpose, the theoretical perspective on which it is based, and the scope
· For each article, evaluate the following:
o Reliability (research methods used, theories used, and data on which it is based)
o Appropriateness for the intended audience
o Background and authority of the author
o Limitations of the research (which can depend on the scope, reliability, age of the document, and bias)
o Significance of the research